Thursday, September 28, 2006

I welcome the creation of a geographers' blog, particularly one established in Waikato. Thanks for the initiative Suzanne.

I think our course meeting on Monday revealed some of the issues students might face with 14 digit grid references this year, and I am happy to organise local meetings (and even school visits
to use the GPS) if this would be useful. I am not sure whether I will have time to get aerial photography of each school and organise a visit, but I think this would be useful; perhaps 2007 when we have some idea about how students will be assessed?

I have just seen an application form for KAREN (Kiwi Advanced Research and Education Network), and I am going to see if we are eligible to get some support for more (local) networking; much of the talking I am doing these days is in virtual communities, but I value the sort of face to face conversations we had on Monday.

An aside: those of you with long memories will be pleased to see that the Geographical Society recognised the life-time contribution of Chris Davidson to geographical education in this country. He was an important contributor from the 1970s through until the late 1990s, and is still a committed geographer. For those of you with shorter memories, I wrote a bit about him in a 2005 New Zealand Geographer.

2 comments:

Suzanne Smith said...

Thanks, Lex for your contribution to the course on Monday and for this offer to support teachers/schools with the 14-digit grid referencing.
I'm delighted to hear Chris has been honoured. His contribution to secondary geography in NZ has been enormous.

Suzanne Smith said...

Hi Lex,
Has there been any update about funding opportunities for local networks?